Monday, December 05, 2005

December Priorities

The priority for December is to complete the documentation and create sample programs. Both of these are intended to help new developers to get started with SimpleDBM.

So far, I have created a BTreeDemo sample - here is a screenshot. The demo program allows a user to interactively manipulate a BTree index. The program creates two threads and allows user to switch from one to the other. This is a good way to simulate locking and concurrency issues.

I am working on a Transaction Manager demo, which will be based upon the One Bit Resource Manager described in section 10.3.7.2 of the classic book Transaction Processing: Concepts and Techniques, by Jim Gray and Andreas Reuter.

The developer's guide is coming along slowly. The latest version can always be found here.

The other theme of this month is to carry on with more BTree test cases. I am reluctant to start work on anything else until I am completely satisfied with the testing.

I mentioned in my previous post that I would need to enhance the BTree module to allow generic multiple attribute index keys. This is now done, and a sample implementation of multiple attribute keys is available as part of the BTreeDemo program.

No comments: